Its pretty cool when you get enough awesome content on your site that you can re-post it. Its perfect for those days that the bipolar recording equipment industry decides to lock itself in it’s closet and I’m stuck out here having to make excuses!!
Today’s gift idea is perfect for someone starting out and owns a mac and wants an all in one solution for recording (Yea I got REALLY specific here didn’t I.) This is the Apogee One, a very small interface with a pretty good condenser mic built into it as well as inputs for instruments or other mics. Its $249 which isn’t bad for getting something you can plug in and start recording right off the bat.
Like I have said over and over again I travel a lot and I’m constantly looking to track ideas and not have to lug a huge interface and all the bells and whistles along. This interface gives me the option to either bring the rest or leave it and still be able to lay down ideas without feeling like you’re lacking proper equipment. This interface has 44.1/48kHz, 24-bit AD/DA Conversion, a condenser mic, and even software selectable phantom power if you want to use an outboard microphone. The One even features a balanced XLR preamp with +10 to 63dB of gain and an unbalanced 1/4? high impedance instrument input, 0 to 45dB of gain, ALL IN AN INTERFACE ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF A CELL PHONE!!! If you know Apogee, you know that they don’t make crap. This company makes world class converters and equipment that is second to none and I’m sure this is no different. Now that I don’t need to use my Mbox Micro, I’m pretty sure I will be making the swap very soon. I am however very sorry if you own a PC because I’m pretty sure it only works with Mac OS X, but you know, its really your own fault for buying equipment with an operating system not worthy for such an incredible piece of gear!
Once again, here’s the tech specs:
- Single channel input using one of the following three options: Internal condenser microphone, Balanced XLR microphone preamp input with +10 to 63dB of gain, Unbalanced 1/4? high impedance instrument input, 0 to 45dB of gain
- Software-selectable 48V phantom power
- Line-level, 1/8? stereo output for headphones or unbalanced powered monitors
- A/D and D/A conversion at 44.1/48kHz, 24-bit
- Multi-function encoder knob for input gain control and output level control
- 4-encoder function LED indicators
- 3-segment LED input and output metering
- Apogee’s Maestro software for advanced control and low latency mixing
- Compatible with any Core Audio compliant audio application
- Dimensions: 2.25? W x 4.75? L x 1? H
- QuickStart Guide
Apogee ONE Single-channel USB Audio Interface for Mac System Requirements:
- Computer: Mac, with an Intel or Power PC G5 processor
- Memory: 1 GB minimum of installed RAM, 2 GB recommended
- OS: 10.5.7 or greater
- Connection and Power: USB, powered by any available USB port on the computer
Apogee One Single-channel USB Audio Interface for Mac Package Contents:
- Breakout Cable
- USB Cable
- Apogee Software & Documentation CD
Price for Apogee One $249.00. Buy Here or I’ll be very disappointed.